In September, the JWHA book and article award committees proudly announced the 2022 book and article award recipients at our 50th Anniversary Conference. Click here to watch the awards ceremony video. Our award recipients are:
- Smith-Pettit Best Book Award
McBride, Spencer W. Joseph Smith for President: The Prophet, the Assassins, and the Fight for American Religious Freedom. New York: Oxford University Press, 2021.
- Greg and Jill Brim Best Biography Award
Kerns, Virginia. Sally in Three Worlds: An Indian Captive in the House of Brigham Young. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2021.
- Whittemore Best Documentary History Award
- Smith, George D., ed. Brigham Young, Colonizer of the American West: Diaries and Office Journals, 1832-1871. Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 2021.
- Best Anthology Award
- Paulos, Michael Harold and Konden Smith Hansen, eds. The Reed Smoot Hearings: The Investigation of a Mormon Senator and the Transformation of an American Religion. Logan: Utah State University Press, 2021.
- Greg Kofford Best Historical Article Award
- Reeve, W. Paul. “‘I Dug the Graves’: Isaac Lewis Manning, Joseph Smith, and Racial Connections in Two Latter Day Saint Traditions.” Journal of Mormon History 47, no. 1 (2021): 29-67.
- Pollock Best Historical Article Award
- Hazard, Sonia. “How Joseph Smith Encountered Printing Plates and Founded Mormonism.” Religion and American Culture 31, no. 2 (2021): 137-192.
- Suzanne Geisner & Jerry Mogg Best Theological Article Award
- LeFevre, Brooke R. “‘I Would Not Risk My Salvation to Any Man’: Eliza R. Snow’s Challenge to Salvific Coverture.” Journal of Mormon History 47, no. 2 (2021): 48-74.
These awards were made possible by the generosity of the Smith-Pettit Foundation, Greg and Jill Brim, Dan and Beth Whittemore, Greg and Cynthia Kofford, Katherine Pollock, Jerry and Sandra Mogg, Joe Geisner and the late Suzanne Geisner, and Megan Stanton. Thank you to our sponsors.
Congratulations to our 2022 award recipients!