As its mission, the John Whitmer Historical Association has the stated goals of:
- Creating and encouraging interest in Latter Day Saint history, especially the history of the Community of Chri
- Stimulating scholarly research and publication in the field of Latter Day Saint
- Promoting communication among scholars of Latter Day Saint history.
- Providing an institutional vehicle for the dissemination of the fruits of scholarly research to members of the Latter Day Saint churches and other interested persons.
John Whitmer Books (JWB) shares this mission with its parent. The press was specifically founded as “an institutional vehicle for the dissemination of the fruits of scholarly research.” Finally, JWB has the additional goal of:
- Providing support for the Community of Christ Historic Sites by producing titles that can readily be sold at those sites (i.e., Kirtland, Nauvoo, and Independence).
In keeping with these goals, the subject matter of titles published by JWB must relate to Latter Day Saint history. Titles relating to the history of the Community of Christ should be singled out for special consideration, followed by titles relating to the history of the broader Latter Day Saint movement. Titles focusing narrowly on the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LOS Church), to the exclusion of the other churches, do not fit the mission of John Whitmer Books.